Monday, January 26, 2009

Busy Month

I have been super busy this month and haven't been even thinking of posting for awhile now. I apologize. I just started a new job and will be starting another job next week, and I am starting to actually get a social life, so I've been a bit distracted. I still am thinking of food all the time, and one of my jobs has very much to do with food, so the blog is not in too dire of circumstances. I enjoy gussing about good eats and whatnots, so I'm going to continue to try and keep this blog running, despite my busy schedule!



This picture is actually of leftovers. I was so hungry at the Thai restaurant, Titaya's, and so antsy for thai food, that I just kind of inhaled the food as it hit the table. I failed to take a picture of the Tom Kha soup, of which I will talk about shortly.

In Portland, I was hella spoiled with Thai food. There are a ton of options, and they are almost all good and each one distinct and varied in prices (Baan-Thai and Khun Pic's are my all-time favorites), so I was pretty hesitant to venture into the uncharted territories of thai food in Austin. I'd been to Thai Kitchen on Guadalupe and was absolutely not impressed. There was no love in the food, not one bit, and this is an essential ingredient in Thai cooking, at least for me. Hmph.

The picture above is of the Pad Sen Mee, vermicelli noodles stir-fried with yummy things. I was pressured to get this from my boyfriend and the waitress, both of whom agreed I needed to start with something totally new and not try to judge from my staples. This ended up being a great suggestion, as each of my staples that I've tried thus far (aside from the soups) has been less than impressive and just okay.

By now I've had the Pad Thai, the spring rolls, and the Pad Kee Mao, and they were all alright, but not nearly, nearly as good as the following: The Beef Waterfall (picture below), my boyfriend gets this every single time we go, and, I have to say, it's absolutely the best thing I've had on the menu so far. It's super spicy and still very flavorfull; it makes you want to get up and dance. It's giddy-inducing good. The Green Curry is surprisingly good also. I think my parents got it once and I was reminded of why I like curries. I used to avoid green curries because they tended to be weak in a lot of restaurants, but this one is very decent. The Tom Kha and Tom Yum soups are AMAZING. Jeebus, these are essential starters; so much better than Thai Kitchen's.


I can't wait to try more here. Really, I'm happy to say that there is good Thai in Austin. There's another restaurant I've been told to try, and I'm still a total novice when it comes to restaurants here, but this is a solid place. Even the just okay food is...at least okay, though I would avoid the spring rolls and Pad Thai. Try new things here, as that route seems the most promising at this place. Yay, new things!

Oh, the house red wine was unfortunate.

No comments: