Sunday, September 14, 2008

An Orange and Coconut Water in Golden Gate Park


More specifically, I was in the San Francisco Botanical Gardens, in Golden Gate Park. They were beautiful, even on a cloudy day. I didn't have much time to spend there, as I am not a very seasoned visitor to San Fran and forgot to bring an extra layer. I got too cold and left early.

Anyways, I picked up the coconut water at an over-priced natural food store right near the park, on Carl Street. I walked about 4 miles from the house I was staying at, in Bernal Heights, to the entrance I was told I must use, Lincoln Way and 9th Avenue (I also highly recommend that area, as you are led straight to the entrance to the Botanical Gardens). I was pretty thirsty by the end of that, so finding the natural food store was nice. I have been slightly obsessed with coconut water ever since my last trip to New York. It's a great drink; not only is it coco-licious, it's actually incredibly healthy for you. It's got a ton of potassium and minerals, natural isotopes and is super hydrating (it's a naturally isotonic beverage). Heh...and check out this crazy long list of benefits I just found online (now it's starting to remind me of kombucha...mmm...kombucha):
  • Low in Carbohydrates
  • 99% Fat Free - Contains No Cholesterol
  • Low in natural occurring sugar
  • Contains organic compounds possessing growth promoting properties
  • Cures Malnourishment
  • Effective in the treatment of kidney and urethral Stones

  • Natural drink for feeding infants suffering from intestinal disturbances
  • Excellent oral re-hydration medium, an all natural isotonic for all ages
  • Re-hydrate naturally, free of added sugars or chemicals
  • More hydrating to the body then water
  • Lower arterial pressure
  • Relieve spasms and stomach pain
  • Ease burns
  • Natural diuretic

  • Presence of saline and albumen makes it an excellent drink in cholera cases
  • Maintains the human body's natural fluid levels
  • Can be injected intravenously in emergency cases
  • Helps in carrying nutrients and oxygen to cells
  • Eliminate swelling in hands and feet
  • Normalize the intestinal function and raise metabolism
  • Heal damage induced by antibiotics and toxins in the digestive tract
  • Boost poor circulation
Wow! Well, I don't know about all of this stuff, but it is damn tasty and definitely makes me feel pretty good after drinking it. It accompanied my orange quite well (man, and it had been such a long time since I had had an orange), though I was pretty starving by the time I had a chance to eat dinner, which was no where near as healthy as this lunch-time snack ... uck.

No comments: